Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Chinese or Filipino?

I, a Chinese-American man, am married to a wonderful Filipino-American girl. After 3 lovely years of marriage, one must ask: "are we more Chinese or more Filipino?"

1. Food: we eat more Chinese food, period.
2. Church: we go to a white/hispanic church but on Friday it's a Chinese church.

(so far, that's 2 for Chinese)

3. Music: don't listen to either of which, but I have learned the tune of
"Nandito Ako" by Lea Salonga.
4. TV: don't watch either of which, but sometimes my wife would watch "Kababayan" on
Channel 18.

(now it's 2 for Chinese, 2 for Filipino)

5. Medicine: we both take "po chai" for stomach aiches. No Filipino "drugs" taken.
6. Grammar/Language: I have learned how to spell Philippines - it's not Filipines,
Phillipines, etc. - and Filipino - it's not Philipino, Fillippino, etc.
She can read/write/speak Tagalog. I can write "one", "two", and "three"
in Chinese. I think it's pretty obvious where this one sways.

(okay, it's 3 each)

7. Cooking: I cook Chinese stir fry and don't dare to try to cook adobo, pancit, or
any other Filipino dishes. She seldom cooks Filipino food but she uses a lot
of fish sauce, cilantro, ginger - so it's more Vietnamese if anything.
8. Clothing: I don't own any clothing that's Chinese and don't want to own any
Chinese clothing (or Filipino for that matter). My wife is the same.
9. Utensils: Chinese people use chopsticks. Filipinos use a fork AND a spoon AT
THE SAME TIME. I never eat the Filipino way. My wife used to eat the Filipino
way but I have "converted" her. =)

So, what is the point of this? There is no point at all! Just a bunch of interesting/not-so-interesting facts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are so funny! I miss you guys!

Jules said...

You know what's interesting? A few friends I know who are half veitnamese and half chinese tend to lean on the chinese side. For weddings, they tend to choose the chinese tradition. One friend once said she sees herself marrying a chinese guy rather than a vietnamese guy. I don't know why, but that's just a few peeps I know.

Victor said...

I really enjoyed this blog!
To push Filipino over the top, I would recommend getting some Ensaymada from Goldilocks! They're delicious!